Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nancy's Reading Notes #9

If I had to rate “My Freshman Year: What a Professor Learned by Becoming a Student,” from one to ten (ten being extremely interesting), I would have to assign it an eight. I really enjoyed the concept of reading an ethnographic study of college life in the United States, in the form of a novel. In reality, the only reason why this book would not receive a “perfect ten,” as in “extremely interesting,” is because I actually lived a majority of the information documented. A large part of this novel was in fact, “my freshman year.”

While reading the book, I did come across many moments which resulted in some wincing and cringing. I believe the most surprising aspect of this book was chapter four, “As Others See Us.” I was particularly appalled by some aspects of American culture after reading this section. I would like to think I was raised in a very open-minded and cultured household; however, I forget that not all people are privy to this sort of upbringing. It really hurt me to read about how different international students had such bad experiences with American students. For example, a majority of international students felt that American students were very surface friendly, judgmental (as seen in the excerpt about the student who slurped his noodles, p. 88), and ignorant. On the other hand, I was not at all surprised to read about issues with American slang. This was apparent when Nathan discussed how a Japanese student named Chiho was very confused by the American custom and slang (p. 68-69). The student mentioned how people would always say “we should get together,” but no one ever exchanged numbers or followed through on plans. This could be slang, or it could again fall into the category of surface
friendships.

Keeping in mind the challenges faced by some of the students in the book, I would instruct new college students to divide their time wisely. I understand that people want to make friends in college, especially being away from home and living in the dorms, but it can be very easy to forget why you are actually there (especially when experiencing independence for the first time, and taking part in multiple activities). Ultimately, students are in school to learn material to better their lives, but heading to a party instead of studying for a class can be very tempting. In college, my planner was (and continues to be) my best friend. I can schedule time to do work, participate
in clubs, and time to get together for social events.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I would advise a new college instructor to immediately explain what they expect from students very thoroughly, and to stick to it. This may cut down on the multiple questions from students before assignments are due (p. 92). Instructors should also consider that students may have a difficult time adjusting, so they should consider this leniency in their course design. By this I mean allow for a couple of absences (one or two) before subtracting from a student’s grade. This should be made clear in the syllabus. It may take freshmen some time to get use to living and studying on their own, so failed alarm clocks and the like will most likely result in an absence or two.

As my first semester teaching undergraduate students is almost coming to an end, I have to admit that this book has not changed my perspective on undergraduate students. The text mentions how students are extremely social (participating in gatherings with their friends, as well as in other activities), sometimes naïve and ignorant, and some have trouble adjusting to independence. Overall, the book does enforce that students are in college to learn. I have some students who are “chatterboxes” in class, believe that I must know the cast of “Jersey Shore” since my family lives in New Jersey, and sleep-in because they no longer have their mother as an alarm clock. On the other hand, I have some students who are excellent note takers, ask thought provoking questions, and have more drive than some graduate students I know. All in all, while all undergraduate students are different, we as instructors have to remember what it was like when we were in their shoes, and must look beyond the “reverse T” to better assist all students (p. 91).

No comments:

Post a Comment