Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Meredith - Reading Notes #9

The most surprising aspect of this book for me (as someone born and raised in the U.S.) was the chapter detailing the perspectives of students from other countries. As I read Nathan’s descriptions of international students’ experiences with “American” students (p. 68-72), I began to understand how the typical American greetings and conversations can be perplexing for someone who is unfamiliar with them. It was also disappointing to read how shallow relationships with some students can seem (p. 72-77) and yet, after reading this section, I would agree that there often seems to be a lack of substance in friendships formed in college. Most of all, it was sad to read that the biggest complaint among the international students was the ignorance of U.S. students in regard to the world (p. 84-89). I think the quote from the Somali student at the end of the chapter is very poignant (p. 89). Many colleges promote diversity and engagement in world affairs and yet it seems that U.S. students are too self-involved to learn from or about international students, countries, or happenings in the world.
The least surprising aspect of this book was Nathan’s description of how small of a role intellectual life plays in college culture (p. 100). Nathan described some of the lessons gained in college that are truly valued by students and how these rarely include information learned in classes. Thinking back on my own experiences as a freshman, I would tend to agree that living on my own, acquainting myself to a new city, meeting new people, and adjusting to a new daily routine were more influential in shaping me as a person than the specific courses I took that year. With the number of changes that occur the first year of college, it is easy to understand how knowledge gained in courses may be overshadowed. I do, however, agree that the contributions of intellectual life increase as students become upperclassmen (p. 130). Rather than fight this trend, perhaps it would be more effective to embrace it. Support students in the earlier years as they are “finding themselves” and then help to mold them into mature and productive citizens of society in the later years.
Nathan described many challenges faced by undergraduate students, including meeting new people, living in the dorms (Ch. 2), managing schedules (p. 110-113), and handling the workload (p. 119). In light of these challenges, my advice to a new student would be to persevere. There will be a multitude of challenges and difficult times associated with adjusting to the college culture but the key is sticking with it. At the end of that first year, students will be able to reflect back on what occurred, celebrate successes, learn from mistakes, and ultimately, grow as a person.
My advice to a new college instructor would be to keep the student perspective in mind and use that insight to improve your course design and instruction. I appreciated Nathan’s reflections regarding her role as an instructor and how she came to realize that the course she teaches is just one of many that students take (p. 136). She mentioned how she understood why students were not as prepared as she would like and that she no longer took it personally (p. 145). I think it is easy for instructors to forget how busy students are and how many demands there are on their time. Instead of assuming that an apparent lack of effort on the part of students is a reflection of one’s poor teaching ability, instructors can use certain strategies, as we have discussed in this class, to help engage students and create a student-centered environment that supports learning. Doing so will hopefully help students understand the value of the course and ultimately, motivate them to put forth a concerted effort.
While I do not feel reading this book has necessarily changed my perspective, I do feel it has provided me with additional insight about the nature, motivation, and tendencies of undergraduate students. The information obtained by Nathan throughout her study adds to what I recall of my perspective as an undergraduate student and the knowledge I have gained through discussions and readings in this course. Overall, I think it is important to avoid overgeneralizing the culture and characteristics of undergraduate students. As Nathan stated, “…the actual experience of individual students is much richer than the normative expressions of student culture” (p. 144).

No comments:

Post a Comment