Thursday, December 1, 2011

Charu's Reading Notes #9

The most surprising aspect:
First of all I was very excited to read this book because the book cover seemed intriguing to me. However, I was surprised to notice two things in the text that I think sort of questions the ethical aspect of the text. Following are the two questions that quite surprised me because I think telling/discussing these experiences upfront sort of misrepresented the author:
  1. In chapter 1, Nathan discusses how she got busted by her RA for drinking beer out in the lounge (p. 12).
  2. One important thing that I learnt in my grad school experience is that in academic work it is important for the author to identify the sources while quoting others in their work. I am aware that Nathan wanted to protect the anonymity but still my question is it acceptable to do that? I noticed that the author doesn’t identify her sources when she quotes students.
The least surprising aspect:
The least surprising aspect of this book was the Nathan discussion on “How does a “cultural expert” decide whether or not to read something for class?” (p. 137-139). From my current teaching project (COMM 110), I realized that most of the students will not do the class readings unless the material will be on their test. While reading this book, one question kept coming to my mind that Nathan taught for more than 15 years but then why she seemed to know so little about the students? 

Advice to a new college student: 
In light of the challenges faced by undergraduate students, following are the advice that I would give a new college student:
  1. Try to get organized from the starting of the semester.
  2. Actively participate in extracurricular activities.
  3. Prioritize your workload by courses
  4. More importantly try to create a perfect balance between your college and social life.
  5. Try to get to know the people in charge (ex. RAs in your dorm, advisor, head of your department) so that they can help you and which will eventually smoothen your time in the college as well.
Advice to a new college instructor: 
To highlight, I will use this idiom “try to put yourself in other’s shoes.” I would advice other instructors to always keep a student perspective in their mind when dealing with situations/issues/problems. To emphasize, I think instructors can learn from Nathan admirable attempt to understand college from a student’s perspective. I would advice other instructors to not to forget your experience as an undergraduate especially the challenges you faced. You can use your own experience to understand your student perspective. I think this will certainly help you to build a strong and positive relationship with your students; and will also help you to improve your course design.

Has this book changed your perspective on undergraduate students:
After reading this book, my perspective on undergraduate students has changed a little. I think it has made me little bit more sympathetic towards my students and realized me the importance of being an empathetic listener at the same time. In my viewpoint, Nathan anthropological study of undergraduates and her attempt to assume the identity of an undergraduate to study the culture as an insider participant/observer was commendable.

No comments:

Post a Comment