Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ashley's Reading Notes #9

Most surprising: First off I was surprised that nobody found out her identity and that she was actually a professor at the university. The chapter on international students was very interesting and provided a unique insight. I was just as guilty as the students at this university where I stuck with the students that were like me. Since I did that, I always had the same perspective and thought that international students enjoyed being together. It really surprised me that they want to have other friends besides those from their same country, but I see the value in it. Now that I am a graduate student, I have friendships with many different people and it is enjoyable because you can learn about each other. I can’t believe that students are unaware of their surroundings and do not truly want to learn about other cultures. I think as Americans we are stuck in this bubble and unless we have the chance to study abroad or travel, many just think everything needs to be done the American way. The community aspect of the book was also very surprising. I think every university varies and even the groups of students vary. Nathan talked about the dining hall and how many would eat alone or take it back to their dorm rooms. Dinner was a big deal when I was in college, we would never go alone and would sit with a large group. We always saw it as a chance to get out of our dorm. I was also surprised in the lack of participation in activities and clubs. As an incoming freshman I was told to get involved and the dorm activities were always packed with people. I did live in a unique dorm where everyone was agriculture major and many of us knew each other before college due to FFA. We did stick together a lot, but whenever there was a club meeting on ag campus the dorm was bare.

Least surprising: This book made me think about when I was a freshman and how I viewed classes. It did not surprise me that I had some of the same attitudes as these students did. I would never sit in the front and very rarely did I read the book because the teachers did not talk about it. It was not surprising that Nathan was not accepted readily even though she lived in the dorm. Students learn at a young age to form groups because there is the fear of being alone. These students stick with those that they are familiar with, high school classmates or those that have the same major. Students tend to shy away from something that is different, an older student, instead of embracing the unique opportunity to meet somebody that has a whole new perspective.

Advice for a student: The most important advice is to try something new and not follow the group. College is the time to discover who you are and where you want to go. It was shocking to read that students were not involved. Being active in different clubs and holding leadership roles are going to get you a lot farther than straight A’s or who is holding the next party. I would also tell college students to get to know people other than who you are used to being with. We are all unique and it will make you a more well-rounded person when you learn different perspectives.

Advice for an instructor: It is easy to forget about our days in college, but an instructor needs to realize that they went through this same process and did not like certain professors or classes. Try not to be one of those, the class that students dread taking or coming to. Also, never stop researching because students change. It is good to stay up on what some of the norms are for today’s students.

Perspective: This book really has not changed my perspective because as I was reading it, I would get flash backs to my days as an undergraduate. Students learn how to work the system, especially at a large university. I felt like a number in many of my classes which led to the same attitude as the students in the book, why try too hard if the instructor doesn’t. It did change/surprise me about how close-minded today’s students are. Many do not realize how global our society is and do not think beyond America.

1 comment:

  1. "It is easy to forget about our days in college,"

    I disagree. It baffles me how instructors seem to forget years of their lives, especially so-called formative years which should create more memories than most.

    ReplyDelete